Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

How it happens

How exactly does one gain 61 lbs in 9 months.

 It was the first thing I was worried about when I got pregnant this past time.   "Oh No, I'm going to get fat again!" I gained over 70lbs with my first pregnancy and then got pregnant again pretty quickly and never lost all the weight from the first one.  Gained all of that back and spent the next 4 years trying to get back in shape.  Everyone said it wouldn't happen.  "you're so healthy" "you're so active" blah blah blah  what people don't understand is that I am a fat person.  Even when I am thin, at my heart I'm a fat girl.  I love to eat.  I could just eat and eat and eat.  For me to stay at a reasonable weight (not skinny- I think I've only been truly skinny once in my life and that was in my 20's and not a healthy point in my life) I have to be VERY active.  On the go, all day long.  After I had the girls I lost some weight but to get back to almost my pre-baby body it took training for and completing about 6-7 sprint triathlons, an olympic triathlon, 2 1/2 marathons, a relay run across the state of Florida and several 5k's and 10k's.  Oh yeah, and working full time, and taking care of 2 small children, a house, etc. 

Yeah, it was a lot of work.  But I enjoyed it.  Then I got pregnant again.  I tried to stay active.  I actually did 2 sprint tri's (one as a relay) and a 10k in my first trimester.  But I started a new job that was really busy, I was SO tired and I just couldn't keep up.  I ran until about 18 weeks and went to spin class a few times after that but then Christmas was almost there and new years and before I knew it I hadn't been to the gym in months.  I walked a bit here and there and I have a very active job but it wasn't enough.  The weight just kept coming and coming.  And yes, I ate.  A lot!  But I always eat a lot.  I just wasn't nearly as active as I need to be to burn it off.  And pregnancy makes that inner fat girl really take over.  She wants CAKE! She wants to watch TV and take NAPS!!  I indulged her. 

Baby Luke

8lbs 13oz
 So thats how it happened...61 lbs. in 38wks 6 days.  It was all worth it for my sweet boy.  Maybe I didn't need every cookie or piece of cake.  Maybe I should have forced myself to go out and walk more instead of napping.  But I ate the cake, I took the naps. I enjoyed every second of it!   Now the inner fat girl isn't so inner anymore but the thinner me is wanting to make a come back.  Enough naps, enough cake! its time to get active! Who am I kidding, there will still be naps and cake, but there will also be running, lots and lots of running!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I am glad you decided to blog about this. Everybody lies and tries to tell me that I will get back in shape with no problem and as soon as I start working out again the weight is just going to fall off....blah blah blah. Notice how most of those people are either those naturally scrawny people or men. But thats besides the point. Why can't anybody just be honest and say that it doesnt just come back off and sometimes you are just TOO busy/tired to work out. Good luck. As soon as I get done being pregnant I will be right in your shoes.

Becca said...

Ashley- I hope you are one of those lucky girls who drops weight super fast! I'm totally not one of those girls. But most people don't gain 60 lbs either. Thats a ton of weight. Some people work really hard after pregnancy and come back stronger and faster. I hope we are both like that!!